Guardian Charity Awards logo   Anti-Slavery Day Winner 2016 logo Donate

For Employers

This section includes information covering the responsibilities of employers for migrant domestic workers in the UK.


Employing a domestic worker in your home involves certain responsibilities.  According to UK law, as an employer, you will have to make sure that your employees receive the following:

  • A written contract of employment. This must be agreed and signed by both the employer and employee and both should have a copy.
  • Clear hours of work and of rest and agreements about compensation for any overtime work.
  • A statutory minimum of 5.6 weeks paid holiday per year including bank holidays.
  • Regular payslips, detailing deductions for Tax and NI. For help with this contact HM Revenue & Customs helpline on 0300 200 3200. It is your responsibility as an employer to ensure you register yourself as an employer and pay tax and National Insurance contributions on behalf of your domestic worker.
  • If your employee is expected to live in your house, they must be provided with their own room for which you can only deduct a maximum of £63.70 per week (from April 2023) against the National Minimum Wage.
  • An hourly salary which is equal to or above the National Living Wage of £10.42 per hour, if your employee is 23 or over, or £10.18 if aged between 21 – 22 (from Apr 2023)
  • You will also be responsible for sick pay and maternity pay.

Model Contract

For the purposes of renewing the visa, domestic workers and their employers are expected to provide information on their T&Cs as detailed in Appendix 7 of the Immigration Rules.

Please check the GOV.UK website to download the latest form.

For general guidance on how to set up a contract, you can visit ACAS’s website.