Important deadline of 31st December 2020
The EU Settlement Scheme enables citizens of the European Union or European Economic Area to apply to remain in the UK after the UK leaves the European Union on 31st December 2020 (‘Brexit’).
Family members of citizens of the European Union or the European Economic Area may also apply to remain in the UK under the EUSS because they are family members of EU citizens
Family member is defined to include the husbands, wives, children and partners, including long term or ‘durable’ partners.
Family members will need to apply for a Registration Certificate or a Residence Card before the deadline of the 31st December 2020 before they can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. This will prove that you started living in the UK before 31st December 2020.
You must have started living in the UK before 31st December 2020 to be eligible to apply for to the EU Settlement Scheme.
The deadline for applying for settled or pre-settled status with a Registration Certificate or Residence to the EU Settlement Scheme is now 30th June 2021.
If you are a family member of a European citizen, as set out above, we would strongly suggest you seek advice from one of the following organisations as soon as possible:
- The Aire Centre https://www.airecentre.org/
- Your local law centre https://www.lawcentres.org.uk/
- The Citizens Advice Bureau https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
- Latin American House email@example.com
- Eastern European Resource Centre firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thames Reach Charity EUSSadvice@thamesreach.org.uk
- International Organization for Migration https://www.iom.int/ email@example.com
- An immigration solicitor
The government also lists organisations that help in your area: click on the following link and where instructed enter your post code with a list of organisations that can help in your area.