Guardian Charity Awards logo   Anti-Slavery Day Winner 2016 logo Donate


Employing a domestic worker in your home involves certain responsibilities. According to UK law, as an employer, you will have to make sure that your employees receive the following:

  • A written statement of the terms and conditions of employment at a minimum. This must be agreed and signed by both the employer and employee and both should have a copy. Please click here for further information
  • Clear hours of work and of rest and agreements about compensation for any overtime work.
  • A statutory minimum of 5.6 weeks paid holiday per year including bank holidays.
  • Regular payslips, detailing deductions for Tax and NI. For help with this contact the HM Revenue and Customs on 0300 200 3200. It is your responsibility as an employer to ensure you register yourself as an employer and pay tax and National Insurance contributions on behalf of your domestic worker.
  • If your employee is expected to live in your house, they must be provided with their own room for which you can only deduct a maximum of £58.52 per week (from April 2021) against the National Minimum Wage.
  • An hourly salary which is equal to or above the National Minimum Wage of £8.91 per hour (from April 2021)
  • You will also be responsible for sick pay and maternity pay.

For further information on employing somebody, please click here